Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

What if the council offers me somewhere that doesn't suit my needs?

If the council offers you unsuitable accommodation, you may be able to ask it to find you something else, if you have a good reason. Here's how.

What if the council offers me somewhere that doesn't suit my needs?

There are many reasons why the accommodation you have been offered might be unsuitable. For example, if:

  • it's too far from your job or from a hospital or other service that you use regularly
  • it would place you at risk of violence
  • there are stairs that you cannot manage because of your health
  • it's too small for the number of people in your household, or
  • the rent is so high that you can't afford to pay for other basics, such as food.

The council will usually offer you only one place to live, so you must think carefully and get advice before refusing to move in.
You can ask for a review of the home the council has provided even after moving in, as long as you ask within 21 days of receiving the council's offer. This is often the best thing to do, as you will still have a roof over your head whatever the outcome of the review. You may want to get some expert advice to help you show the council that the accommodation isn't suitable.

back to top

What you can do now:

back to top