Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

What if the council won't help me?

If the council decides that you're not 'in priority need' or 'eligible for assistance' it doesn't have to provide you with somewhere to live. However, it should still be able to advise you on your options. You should also contact Shelter(link opens in new window), the housing charity, as soon as you can. It can give you advice about how to find somewhere to live, or what to do if the council says it won't help you.

What if I disagree with the council's decision not to help me?

If the council says it will not help you find somewhere to live, you don't have to just accept it - there are steps you can take to make the council look again at your case.

What if the council says another council must help me?

If the council says another council should help you, you can challenge this if you have a good reason for needing to stay in the first council's area.

What if the council offers me somewhere that doesn't suit my needs?

If the council offers you unsuitable accommodation, you may be able to ask it to find you something else, if you have a good reason. Here's how.

back to top