Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 - સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને - અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

30 Neighbourhood and Community Disputes

Download Neighbourhood and Community Disputes (PDF File 422kb)

1 Introduction

2. What can I do if I have a problem with my neighbours?

3. Dealing with matters yourself

4. What is mediation?

5. What if mediation doesn´t work?

6. What is a ´statutory nuisance´?

7. What if the council won´t help?

8. Taking a case to court yourself

9. What can be done about anti-social behaviour?

10. Acceptable behaviour contracts

11. Anti-social behaviour orders

An anti-social behaviour order (ASBO) is a court order that is meant to stop someone committing particular anti-social acts or going to certain areas. It lasts for at least two years. An order can even prevent somebody from being with certain people or from going near a house where they have caused problems.

Individuals cannot apply for an ASBO for someone who is harassing them or causing a nuisance, but various authorities can, including:

  • the police (and the British Transport Police);
  • local authorities; and
  • registered social landlords (such as housing associations).

ASBOs are community-based orders that depend on local people to provide evidence of how they are working and to tell the authorities if people break them. It is a criminal offence to breach an ASBO, and if someone does, they can be arrested and imprisoned for up to five years.

An ASBO might not be enough to deal with the problem. Another step would be to get an injunction from the courts under the Protection from Harassment Act to stop someone harassing you. An advice agency may be able to help you with this.

Parenting contracts

These are voluntary arrangements where the parents and a body, for example, a local council’s youth offending team, agree a system for improving a child’s behaviour. Schools and local education authorities can enter into parenting contracts with the parents of a child who has been a truant or excluded from school.

Parenting orders

These are imposed by a court and can be used when a child or young person has been involved in anti-social behaviour or criminal conduct. Parents will have to attend a parenting course and are responsible for making sure their child goes to school. If the parents don’t keep to the order, they could face a heavy fine.

Penalty notices

Local councils, head teachers and the police are able to fine parents if their child plays truant. If the penalty is not paid, the local council can prosecute the parents.

Nuisance neighbours panels

These are new bodies made up of experts from local authorities, the police and voluntary organisations. Their role is to liaise with the community and help solve problems for or about difficult families who live there. These panels are mainly to help social landlords such as housing associations to sort out disputes.

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

The leaflets are regularly updated but the law may have changed since they were printed so the information in them may be incorrect or out of date.

Leaflet Version: July 2005

પાછા ઉપર