Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

How do I get help as a carer?

To get help, you need to have a carer's assessment.

How do I get help as a carer?

As a carer, you have a legal right to have a carer's assessment, even if the person you care for doesn't want to be assessed.

The assessment should look at all your needs, including time for work, study and leisure.

You can find information for carers on the government's Directgov website.

back to top

What if my circumstances change?

You can ask to be re-assessed at any time if there are changes to your circumstances - or those of the person you care for.

back to top

What you can do now:

  • Call the Carers Helpline for help and advice on 0808 808 7777
  • Call the Disability and Carers Service for information on Carers Allowance on their freephone line 0800 88 22 00.  Textphone 0800 24 33 55.
  • Get help and advice from Age UK (the new organisation formed by AgeConcern and Help the Aged)
  • Get advice now by calling 08001 225 6653, or ask us to call you.

back to top