Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Ombudsmen and regulatory authorities

How to complain about the administration of organisations such as your local authority, banks, estate agents, lawyers, and the NHS.

Information and advice from other websites

  • Ombudsmen

    Includes what ombudsmen are, how they work, and the outcomes you can get when you take your complaint to the ombudsman.

    From: ADRnow

  • How to use an ombudsman

    How to use an ombudsman (in England) to investigate a complaint about maladministration in public and private sector organisations.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Making a complaint

    Complaints service offered by the Local Government Ombudsman in England and Wales.

    From: Local Government Ombudsman

  • Making a complaint to the Housing Ombudsman Service

    How to make a complaint. Includes how to find out if you are covered by the scheme, and what conditions you must meet to make a complaint to the Ombudsman. This only applies to England.

    From: Housing Ombudsman Service

  • Your complaint and the ombudsman

    Information about the Financial Ombudsman Service, including what kind of complaints they can help you with, how to complain, and what information the ombudsman will need.

    From: Financial Services Ombudsmen

  • Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

    How to complain about government departments, their agencies and some other public bodies in the UK (and the NHS in England) if they have not acted properly or fairly or have provided a poor service.

    From: Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

  • Pensions Ombudsman

    The Pensions Ombudsman investigates and decides complaints and disputes about the way that pension schemes are run.

    From: Pensions Ombudsman

  • Otelo - Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman

    Otelo is a free, independent ombudsman service you can use to deal with complaints about some telephone and internet service providers. Explains what complaints they can deal with.

    From: Otelo - Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman

  • About the Legal Services Ombudsman

    If you make a complaint about a lawyer, the Ombudsman will investigate the way that your complaint was dealt with by the lawyer's own professional body.

    From: Legal Services Ombudsman

  • What is the Furniture Ombudsman?

    The Furniture Ombudsman is the independent standards body for furniture and floorcoverings and is not allied to any retailer or manufacturer. Supporters of The Furniture Ombudsman subscribe to the Code of Practice for the furniture industry, which is underpinned by an independent dispute resolution service.

    From: FIRA

  • Complaints

    OISC can accept complaints about any person giving immigration advice. Explains who and what you can complain about, how to complain and what happens after you've made a complaint.

    From: Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner - OISC

  • Prisoners - making a complaint (PDF)

    Information about how to complain about a problem if you are in prison. Covers the prison complaints procedure, the Independent Monitoring Board and the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • How to enforce your rights

    Information and practical advice about taking civil action or complaining if your rights have been affected or violated by government, health services, care services, police, courts and legal services, financial professions, media or public utilities.

    From: Liberty

  • Buying services - further help

    Organisations which help with consumer problems including mail order, banking and insurance services and property and building services.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • The European Ombudsman

    The European Ombudsman investigates complaints about maladministration by institutions and bodies of the European Community. Explains who and what you can complain about, and how to go about making your complaint.

    From: European Ombudsman

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of an adviser giving a woman advice

Human Rights Act

The Human Rights Act 1998 is an important and wide-ranging law that affects many parts of our lives. Find out what the Act says and how it works.

2. Photograph of two women at an adult education centre

Equal opportunities

There are many situations where you could be discriminated against, for example because of your age, or your sex or because you are gay or lesbian. Find out what you can do if you are discriminated against.

3. Photograph of a man up a ladder

Personal injury

If you are injured because someone was negligent (they did something they shouldn't, or didn't do something they should have done), you may be able to get compensation. Find out what you can do if you've been injured in this way.

4. Photograph of a woman getting advice at a walk in community legal advice centre

Alternatives to court

Going to court to solve a problem can be expensive, stressful and time-consuming. But there are other ways of dealing with many types of complaint. Find out more.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top