Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:



  • 獲取免費機密法律建議

    撥打08001 225 6653
  • 週一至週五上午9:00 - 下午8:00
  • 週六9:00 - 12:30
  • 話費從4p/分鐘起 —或讓我們給您回電


20 Education

Download Education (PDF File 585kb)

1. Introduction

2. What choice of school do I have for my child?

3. When must my child go to school?

4. May I teach my child at home?

5. What will my child be taught at school?

6. What should I be told about my child and their progress?
Schools must give you a written report on your child at least once a year. This must include information on their:

  • progress in all the national curriculum subjects they have studied;
  • progress in other subjects and activities;
  • general progress and attendance; and
  • results in any national curriculum tests or assessments.

The report should also tell you when you can discuss it with the school. This discusion usually takes place at a parents' evening. The head teacher may have the report translated into another language if English or Welsh is not your first language.

The school must also keep school records for your child. The records must include:

  • information on your child's progress; and
  • other records the school keeps on your child. (However, certain information cannot be shown or given to you or your child.)

Legally, you and your child have the right to see your child’s school records. If you write to the school asking to see the records, the school has 15 days to allow you to see them. If you want a copy of the school records, the school may charge you a reasonable fee for photocopying them.

If you don’t agree with something in your child’s school records, or you think there is a mistake in them, you can write to ask the school’s governing body to change them. If it won’t allow you to see your child’s records, or change them, you can contact the Information Commissioner, or take legal action.

7. What do I have to pay for at school?

8. What can I do if my child is being bullied?

9. What rights does the school have to discipline my child?

10. What happens if my child can´t go to school?

11. What say do I have in how the school is run?

12. What if I am not happy about my child´s school or education?

13. How can I get the right education for my child if they have special needs?

14. Further Help

15. About this leaflet

This leaflet was published by the Gurkha Free Legal Advice (LSC). It was written in association with the Advisory Centre for Education.

Leaflet Version: July 2008