Skip navigation (access key S)

Hull Community Legal Advice Centre

MapGround Floor, Essex House
Manor Street. Hull
01482 317420


Hull Gurkha Free Legal Advice Centre

What we do

Our experienced advisers provide free, independent and confidential advice from our city centre location in Essex House. We will also deliver advice sessions across the city in local community centres as part of our advice within the community.

Advice within the community

We are operating a generalist advice service from a number of across Hull. We operate an appointment booking system at each venue. As demand dictates, we may also offer specialist surgeries at locations across the city on a regular basis.

Please go to the Visit / contact us page to see the venues, the times and days that are available, and how to book an appointment.


What sort of problems can you help me with?

We can help with a range of problems. Here are just a few examples of common issues our clients have and how we can help you:

Family issues

          Difficulty in obtaining or being denied access to children
          Trying to obtain custody and parental rights
          Involvement of Social Services with their child
          Protection of themselves and / or children from violence / abuse
          The rights or entitlements in divorce / separation
          Guardian appointment / or guardian rights
          Trying to adopt a child in their care
          Enforcing previous court orders



          Occupation orders
          Notices for eviction
          Illegal eviction or possession
          Notices for possession
          Threatened loss of home or harassment from landlords
          Disrepair / poor housing conditions
          Rent or mortgage arrears



          Appeals and tribunals
          Issues over Unpaid wages  and changes to terms and conditions without consent
          Unfair Dismissal or Redundancy
          Being subjected to any Discrimination on the basis of their Race, Age, Sex, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Religion
          Lack of necessary disability aids to help complete a job effectively



          Benefit appeals - including representation at tribunals
         Challenging or gaining Disability benefits - including Employment and Support Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and advice for carers
         Challenging or gaining benefits for those on a low income - including Income Support, Pension Credit, Housing and Council Tax Benefit and tax Credits



          Advice on how to manage, prioritise or pay debt
          What to do about getting into council tax, housing or mortgage arrears
          Dealing with Creditors, Loan Sharks and Illegal Money Lenders
          Advice on applying for Debt Relief Orders, IVA, Bankruptcy and Administration
          Dealing with Bailiffs and charges placed on property in lieu of unpaid debt
          Being in receipt of a claim from the court
          Being subject to non – conformity of creditors from previous agreements

Community Care

          Moving to suitable sheltered or adapting a home to be accessible accommodation
          Obtaining special equipment to help maximise independence
          Seeking eligibility or arranging home care
          Help with social / educational / recreational activities
          Residential and Nursing Care costs
          Disputes involving the ability to make decisions
          Help with childcare particularly if the child or carer are disabled
          Arranging for a carer to be able to deal with the affairs of people in care
          Assessments that have been delayed or failed to be undertaken
          Assessments being completed but no decision having been made
          A decision made that means no service is available
          A dispute in funding of the help needed
          Whether services charged for are affordable
          The amount of help offered not providing adequate independence and control
          Help that has been reduced or withdrawn
          No practical alternatives being made available
          No referral information being issued when a client needs to complain or take advice
          Having difficulty making purchases on behalf of people in care or accessing finances once authorised to do so
          Being a young carer and managing education and wellbeing



          Refused asylum
          Entry applications
          Right to remain in the UK
          Immigration rights of other family members
          Human Rights of immigration applicants


I have a problem. What should I do?

Please come in and see us. One of our experienced advisers will listen to your problem to see how we can help you.

The adviser may be able to help you resolve the problem straight away.

If your problem is complex, you may need some ongoing specialist legal advice. The adviser will make an appointment for you with someone at the Centre who has specialist knowledge and they will help and advise you throughout your case.

We will always try to help you resolve your problems as quickly as possible.

Live outside Hull?

Gurkha Free Legal Advice can help you via our telephone helpline and website

Opening Hours

  • Mon 9am - 5pm
  • Tue 9am - 5pm
  • Wed 9am - 5pm
  • Thu 8am - 6pm
  • Fri 9am - 5pm
  • Sat 10am - 1pm