Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 – સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને – અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

30 Neighbourhood and Community Disputes

pdf icon Download Neighbourhood and Community Disputes (PDF File 422kb)

1 Introduction

2. What can I do if I have a problem with my neighbours?

3. Dealing with matters yourself

4. What is mediation?

5. What if mediation doesn´t work?

6. What is a ´statutory nuisance´?

7. What if the council won´t help?

8. Taking a case to court yourself

9. What can be done about anti-social behaviour?

The Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003 gives the police and other organisations, such as local councils, powers to take action for a range of neighbourhood and community problems. Among other things, it:

  • allows social landlords, like housing associations, to take action against anti-social tenants, including faster evictions and removing their right to buy the house or flat they rent;
  • allows for fixed-penalty notices (where you can be fined without going to court) for noise nuisance and graffiti, (including fines on 16 and 17 year olds as well as adults);
  • contains new action to close down ‘crack houses’;
  • allows the authorities to force gangs and other groups of people to leave certain areas where there are ongoing problems with anti-social behaviour;
  • provides new ways of dealing with children who behave anti-socially at school or in the community;
  • makes it against the law to sell spray paint to children under 16;
  • gives local councils new powers to tackle fly-tipping, graffiti and fly-posting; and
  • makes it easier for councils to shut down businesses that create noise nuisance.

If the problem is affecting you at your home, you should also tell your landlord. If the situation is very bad, they may be able to offer an emergency transfer to another house or flat.

In more extreme situations where you feel you are in danger, you could apply to your council as homeless, on the grounds that you had to leave your home because of your fear of violence. In that case, the council may have to find you somewhere to stay. However, you should always seek legal advice before making any permanent move, as it can be difficult getting the council to rehouse you. For more about homelessness, see the Gurkha Free Legal Advice leaflet ‘’.

10. Acceptable behaviour contracts

11. Anti-social behaviour orders

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

The leaflets are regularly updated but the law may have changed since they were printed so the information in them may be incorrect or out of date.

Leaflet Version: July 2005

પાછા ઉપર