Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 – સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને – અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

26 Domestic Violence, Abuse and Harassment

pdf icon Download Domestic Violence, Abuse and Harassment (PDF File 423kb)

1 Introduction

2. What can I do if someone in my family is abusing me?

3. Practical things to do if you have been abused

4. Taking legal steps

5. What the police can do for you

6. What a solicitor can do for you

7. Court orders you can get to protect you

8. How a court order protects you

9. What if the person abusing me is not my partner?

You can get an injunction in the civil court under the Family Law Act 1996 if the person abusing you is:

  • your current or former husband, wife or civil partner;
  • someone you are or were in a relationship with, whether or not you were living together;
  • someone you are or have been engaged to marry, or agreed to form a civil partnership with;
  • someone you live with or have lived with (but not your tenant or landlord, employer or employee);
  • a relative, including half or step relatives (though there are some types of relatives who are not included);
  • the other parent or someone who shares parental responsibility for a child of yours;
  • an adoptive parent of a child of yours (or someone who is due to be an adoptive parent); or
  • someone who is involved in the same family court proceedings as you.

If the person abusing you doesn’t fit in any of these categories, there are still laws that will help you. For instance, you can stop someone at work from harassing you by using the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

This Act gives the court power to impose restraining orders that are similar to occupation and non-molestation orders. (See ‘Court orders you can get to protect you’ for an explanation of these.)

If you have been the victim of violence, you can also get the help of the police, whoever has abused you. Ask to speak to the community safety officer at your local police station.

10. How can I help someone who is being abused?

11. Terms used in matters to do with domestic abuse

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

This leaflet is published by the Gurkha Free Legal Advice (LSC). It was written in association with Imogen Clout, a solicitor and mediator specialising in family law.

Leaflet version: August 2008

પાછા ઉપર