Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 – સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને – અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

19 Community care

pdf icon Download Community care (PDF File, 618kb)

1. Introduction

2. Where do I start if I think I need help?

3. What kind of help is there?

4. Can I get help if I look after someone?

5. Who pays if I get care in my home?

6. What if I have to go into hospital?

7. What if I need to move into a care home?

8. What if I need ongoing nursing care?

9. Will I have to sell my home?

10. Can I claim any benefits if I am in residential care?

11. What choice of care home do I have?

12. What if I want to move to a care home that costs more than the council will pay?

13. What if my move into a care home is temporary?

You may need to go into a home temporarily, for example:

  • for a short-term break (‘respite care’);
  • while you get over an illness;
  • while you’re waiting for a place in sheltered housing; or
  • for a trial period to see if residential care is right for you.

Your assessment should show whether your stay will be temporary or permanent.

You should not be charged anything for a short-term stay that is part of ‘intermediate care’. There may be charges for other temporary stays, but the rules for working out how much you pay towards them allow for the fact that you will still have your own home to keep up. Any charge must be ‘reasonable’.

If you are going to be in the home for only a short time, the council can apply a ‘means test’ (a test to see if you are able to get financial help) straight away. Or for the first eight weeks it can ask you to pay a reasonable contribution, and then it must apply the means test.

The means test for a temporary stay looks at your income and savings in the same way as if you are staying permanently, but it cannot take into account the value of your home if you will be going back there or are planning to sell it to buy somewhere more suitable. The council must also take account of any bills you’re still having to pay for your home, and must not take into account any benefits you get towards housing costs.

You may be able to get Income Support (if you are under 60) or Pension Credit (if you are over 60) to help you pay any fees while you are temporarily in a home. In deciding whether you are eligible, the Department for Work and Pensions will treat you as if you were still living at home. So, for example, it will not count the value of your home but it will count any capital or income you own yourself or jointly with a partner.

14. What rights do I have when I am in a care home?

15. What if I have difficulty getting the care I need?

16. Further help

17. About this leaflet

This leaflet is published by the Gurkha Free Legal Advice (LSC). It was written in association with Sue Bloomfield, a freelance consumer affairs writer.

Leaflet Version: May 2008

પાછા ઉપર