Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 – સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને – અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

14 Medical Accidents

pdf iconDownload Medical Accidents (PDF File, 819kb)

1. Introduction

2. What is a medical accident?

3. What should I do if I have suffered a medical accident?
If you have been injured during treatment, you must first make sure you are getting the right treatment to try and correct the injury. You may need to get a second opinion or ask your doctor to refer you to another hospital or clinic.

You may be feeling distressed and confused about what has happened, and may want advice and support. This could be from friends, family or specialist support groups. You could also talk to your GP to see if they can explain things or help in other ways.

If you cannot work because of the accident, you should get advice about claiming benefits and how to deal with any debts that have built up. You should also get advice about benefits if your partner contributes to the household income but cannot work because of a medical accident. Gurkha Free Legal Advice or your local Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start. There are also two Gurkha Free Legal Advice leaflets that could help:

What action can I take?
After you have taken steps to take care of your health, you should think about what you want to do next. What do you want to happen?

You may want:

  • an explanation and an apology;
  • to make sure that the same mistake is not made again (this may mean a hospital has to change its procedures, or the person responsible must be disciplined or retrained); or
  • compensation.

It is important to understand that taking legal action is only about getting compensation. If an apology or the safety of other patients is more important to you, you should think about the types of action you can take without going to law. See ‘What if I want to complain about a professional’s behaviour?’, and ‘What if I want to make sure that the same mistake is not repeated?’. Remember that once you start a legal claim, you are unlikely to be able to take another course of action.

Whatever you want to happen – whether or not it involves taking legal action – you can get advice from a solicitor. However, they will usually be better able to advise you if you have first found out as much as you can about what happened to you.

4. How do I find out more about what happened to me?

5. What if I want to complain about a professional´s behaviour?

6. When can I claim compensation?

7. How do I claim compensation?

8. How do I decide whether to take legal action?

9. What if I can´t afford to pay for a solicitor?

10. What do I have to prove to claim compensation?

11. What can I claim compensation for?

12. What can I do if my treatment was private?

13. What if a relative has died as a result of a medical accident?

14. What if my injury was caused by faulty medical equipment?

15. What if I want to make sure that the same mistake is not repeated?

16. Further help

17. About this leaflet

Logo of AVMAThis leaflet is published by the Gurkha Free Legal Advice (LSC). It was written in association with Action Against Medical Accidents.

Leaflet Version: June 2008

પાછા ઉપર