Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

મારી મુલાકાત છુપાવો

શું મારે અત્યારે કોઇની સાથે વાત કરવાની જરૂર છે?

  • મફત, ગુપ્ત કાનૂની સલાહ મેળવો

    08001 225 6653પર ફોન કરો
  • સોમ-શુક્ર સવારે 9 – સાંજે 8.00
  • શનિ સવારે 9 - બપોરે12:30
  • કૉલનો દર મિનિટના 4 પેન્સ થી લઇને – અથવા અમારી પાસે સામો ફોન કરાવો

તમારા વિસ્તારમાં કોઇ કાનૂની સલાહકાર શોધો

13 Problems with Goods and Services

pdf iconDownload Problems with goods and services (PDF File, 270kb)

1. Introduction

2. What is the difference between ´goods´ and ´services´?

3. Dealing with problems with goods (products)

4. What the law says a retailer must do about faulty goods

5. What if a product hurts someone or damages something?

6. What if I buy by phone or mail order, or over the internet?

7. What if something is wrong with the food I have bought?

8. What are my rights if I buy on credit ?

9. Dealing with problems with services

If you have a problem with a service, you should first contact the service provider or company involved. It may offer to sort out your problem without an argument. It is best to put your complaint in writing and be clear about what you want done. This might be:

  • sorting out work that wasn’t done, or wasn’t done properly; or
  • compensation or a part refund for inconvenience, poor-quality work or a job that was finished late.

If the service provider or company doesn’t offer to sort your problem out, don’t be fobbed off. Sometimes, just letting someone know that you know your legal rights is enough to persuade them to solve the problem.

Your legal rights with services

If someone supplies a service (which may include both materials and labour), you have rights under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994).

This says the service provider must:

  • carry out the service with reasonable skill and care;
  • complete it within a reasonable time (unless you have both agreed a specific time);
  • make a reasonable charge for the service (unless you have agreed a charge in advance); and
  • use materials that are of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose

If you buy something and the retailer arranges installation, you have rights against the retailer if there are problems with fitting it (see ‘What if I have problems with how something was installed?’).

10. What the law says a service provider must do

11. Ways to sort out your problem

12. Further help

13. About this leaflet

This leaflet is published by the Gurkha Free Legal Advice (LSC). It was written in association with Sue Bloomfield, a freelance consumer affairs writer.

Leaflet Version: November 2007

પાછા ઉપર