Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Citizenship and nationality

What it means to be a British citizen, including right of abode and citizenship by birth, by descent and by registration.

  • Your rights in the UK if you are from the EEA

    This leaflet explains your rights to enter, live, work and study in the United Kingdom (UK) if you are a national of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. We also look at your rights to bring your family and to get help with housing and health care.

back to top

Information and advice from other websites

Our top picks

Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Claiming asylum

An application for asylum in the UK can be dealt with in several ways. Find out the main things asylum seekers need to know.

Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Immigration and nationality

There are many laws and rules that say who can come into the United Kingdom, depending on why you are coming and whether you want to stay permanently. Learn about your rights to come to the UK and stay here.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Asylum support

The Border and Immigration Agency provides support, accommodation and financial help for asylum seekers whilst your claim is being considered. Includes the form to apply for support.

Photograph of a man using the internet on his laptop

Refugee Council multilingual website

Information for refugees in a number of different languages.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top