Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Tenancies and licences

Your rights if you live in rented property. Covers what type of tenancy you might have.

Information and advice from other websites

  • Private tenanciesthis link opens in a new window

    This guide gives information for people who rent their homes from private landlords. It helps you to find out the type of tenancy or licence you have, understand your rights and responsibilities and know what steps your landlord must take to evict you. It also includes information on rent and rent increases.(Applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Renting agreementsthis link opens in a new window

    If you are renting your home, you either have a tenancy or a licence to live in the property. Both tenancy agreements and licenses can be written or verbal. If an agreement seems unfair, it may not be valid. The law gives certain rights to people who are renting and these cannot be taken away no matter what your agreement says. Information to help you work out if you have a tenancy agreement or a licence agreement, to live in your home, as well as other information you may need to know about your rights in your home. (Applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Checking the tenancy typethis link opens in a new window

    You may not necessarily have the type of tenancy that is stated on your tenancy agreement. This section helps you to work out what sort of private tenancy you have. (Applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Sharing and sublettingthis link opens in a new window

    Information to help you decide if you want to share a house including problems that could come up, things to agree in advance, and how to choose who you live with.

    From: Shelter

  • Renting: your rightsthis link opens in a new window

    Explains your rights if you're renting your home, including your rights if you are a lodger or share your home with your ladlord.

    From: TheSite

  • Tenancy agreementsthis link opens in a new window

    Information on tenancy agreements including the rights and obligations of tenants and landlords, and covering sham tenancies and unfair tenancy agreements.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Ending a tenancy or licencethis link opens in a new window

    You must end your tenancy properly if you want to leave. Otherwise you may still be liable to pay rent, even after you've moved out. Explains about gving written notice to the landlord, and the rules about ending the tenancy early. (Applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Tenants' rightsthis link opens in a new window

    What are your rights if you rent your home? Includes types of tenancy you can have and your rights if you live in the same accommodation as your landlord.

    From: National Youth Agency

  • More links Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a row of houses

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live?

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live? Find out what you can do if you can’t stay in your current home.

Renting and letting leaflet

Your legal rights, if you rent a flat, house or bedsit. If you are a private landlord, learn about your rights and duties to your tenants.

4. Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Neighbourhood and community disputes

Your rights in relation to problems with neighbours, whether you are complaining about your neighbour or the neighbour is complaining about you.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Buying and selling property

How to deal with many of the common problems you may have with buying or selling a house or flat.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top