Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Eviction and repossession

What to do if your landlord asks you to leave your home, or you are in danger of having your home repossessed.

back to top

Information and advice from other websites

  • Evictionthis link opens in a new window

    All landlords have to follow special legal procedures in order to evict tenants. There are laws to protect you. Whether or not your landlord can evict you and how the process works will depend on the type of tenancy you have. If your landlord doesn't follow the right procedure, s/he may be committing a criminal offence.

    From: Shelter

  • Repossessionthis link opens in a new window

    As a home owner, you can only be evicted if your lender or freeholder has a legal reason (grounds) and the correct procedure is followed. Repossession doesn't happen automatically. It may be possible to stop the eviction at any stage in the process. (Applies to England only)

    From: Shelter

  • How can my landlord end my Assured Tenancy?this link opens in a new window

    If you rent your property from a private landlord then the rights you have to stay in your home will depend on the type of tenancy you have and when your tenancy began.

    From: National Debtline

  • Ordered to leavethis link opens in a new window

    Explains what happens if the court decides that you should be evicted, the bailiffs' role in evicting you, and what will happen to your home and to any mortgage debts you have. Also outlines how the repossession could affect your future housing options. (Applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Harassment and illegal evictionthis link opens in a new window

    If your landlord is trying to force you to move out by causing problems for you s/he may be guilty of harassment, which is a criminal offence. This page explains your rights and what you can do. (This information only applies to England.)

    From: Shelter

  • Home ownership - going to courtthis link opens in a new window

    If you are a homeowner, you can only be evicted if the court makes an order telling you to leave. Explains what happens if you are taken to court. (England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Preventing court actionthis link opens in a new window

    If you can't pay your mortgage or any other loan secured on your home, your lender can take legal action to get back the money you owe. (This applies in England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Avoiding homelessnessthis link opens in a new window

    There are sometimes ways to avoid becoming homeless, even when the situation appears hopeless. This page explains what you might be able to do, either on your own or with specialist help.

    From: Shelter

  • Repossession by a landlord's lenderthis link opens in a new window

    Your landlord's lender may try to repossess the property you are renting if your landlord does not keep up with their mortgage payments. If this happens, you may have some protection from eviction if your tenancy is binding on the landlord's lender. If not, your options will be more limited. Information on how you can get help if you are in this situation.

    From: Shelter

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a row of houses

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live?

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live? Find out what you can do if you can’t stay in your current home.

Renting and letting leaflet

Your legal rights, if you rent a flat, house or bedsit. If you are a private landlord, learn about your rights and duties to your tenants.

4. Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Neighbourhood and community disputes

Your rights in relation to problems with neighbours, whether you are complaining about your neighbour or the neighbour is complaining about you.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Buying and selling property

How to deal with many of the common problems you may have with buying or selling a house or flat.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top