Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Registered social landlords

Registered social landlords are independent housing organisations, mostly housing associations.

Information and advice from other websites

  • Affordable housing through housing associationsthis link opens in a new window

    This looks at what a registered social landlord (RSL) is, how to become a RSL tenant and provides details of low cost home ownership schemes.

    From: Directgov

  • Housing associationsthis link opens in a new window

    If you want to get a housing association place, you will have to apply to go on a waiting list.(Applies to England only)

    From: Shelter

  • Housing association tenanciesthis link opens in a new window

    How to apply for a housing association place and the rights that housing association tenants have. This includes people whose homes have been transferred from the council to a housing association.

    From: Shelter

  • Council waiting liststhis link opens in a new window

    Explains who is eligible for council housing, how to apply and how the council decides who to house first. These rules can also apply to people applying for a housing association or housing co-op home in the area, and to existing council tenants who want a transfer. (England only.)

    From: Shelter

  • Eviction of housing association tenantsthis link opens in a new window

    Information on what to do if your housing associtation is trying to evict you. A housing association should only evict its tenants as a last resort. You have the right to stay in your home as long as is stated in your tenancy agreement, providing you don't break the rules of your tenancy.

    From: Shelter

  • Finding accommodationthis link opens in a new window

    Help with finding accommodation including local authority services for homeless people, accommodation agencies, accommodation schemes and deposits and premiums.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Repairs in social housingthis link opens in a new window

    Information on the rights you have if your home needs repairs and you rent from a council or housing association.

    From: Shelter

  • Housing rights - challenging discriminationthis link opens in a new window

    If you have been refused housing by a council or housing association but believe that you should not have been, you may have been discriminated against. Information for new arrivals to the UK.

    From: Housing Rights Information

  • Renting from a social housing landlordthis link opens in a new window

    Covers secure and assured tenancies available for tenants of local authorities, Housing Action Trusts, housing associations and housing cooperatives. Includes information on rent, renting from a public sector landlord and what a public sector landlord is, what it means to be a public sector tenant, and public sector tenants' rights. Also includes information on repairs, the right to stay in the accommodation and introductory tenancies.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a row of houses

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live?

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live? Find out what you can do if you can’t stay in your current home.

Renting and letting leaflet

Your legal rights, if you rent a flat, house or bedsit. If you are a private landlord, learn about your rights and duties to your tenants.

4. Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Neighbourhood and community disputes

Your rights in relation to problems with neighbours, whether you are complaining about your neighbour or the neighbour is complaining about you.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Buying and selling property

How to deal with many of the common problems you may have with buying or selling a house or flat.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top