Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

Local authority housing

Information on whether you are entitled to accommodation from the local council, and what kind of accommodation local councils may offer.

Information and advice from other websites

  • Finding accommodation - local authoritythis link opens in a new window

    Explains the rules on who can qualify for local authority housing.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Council waiting liststhis link opens in a new window

    Explains who is eligible for council housing, how to apply and how the council decides who to house first. These rules can also apply to people applying for a housing association or housing co-op home in the area, and to existing council tenants who want a transfer. (England only.)

    From: Shelter

  • Challenging waiting list decisionsthis link opens in a new window

    Information about what to do if you are unhappy about a decision that has been made about your application for council or housing association accommodation.

    From: Shelter

  • Frequently asked questions - council house waiting listthis link opens in a new window

    Explains what you can do to speed things up if you've been on the waiting list for council housing for a long time (England only)

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Council and housing association housingthis link opens in a new window

    Information about rented housing that may be available either from the Council (Local authority) or a housing association. Explains how to apply for it and who is likely to be made an offer. It also describes what to do if you want to move to another local authority area.

    From: Age UK

  • Unsuitable council accommodationthis link opens in a new window

    If you apply to the council for help as a homeless person, it may have to provide you with temporary accommodation. Information on how you can take action against a council that provides you with unsuitable accommodation.

    From: Shelter

  • Settled housing for homeless peoplethis link opens in a new window

    If the council provides temporary accommodation for you , you can normally stay until the council arranges settled accommodation. This could be a council tenancy, a housing association tenancy or a tenancy with a private landlord. This only applies to England.

    From: Shelter

  • Choice-based lettingsthis link opens in a new window

    Information about choice-based lettings (CBL) schemes, which are designed to introduce an element of choice for people who apply for council and housing association homes. Choice-based lettings allow people applying for a home (including existing tenants who want a transfer) to bid for properties which become available on a points-based system.

    From: Shelter

  • Housing eligibility law for new arrivals to the UKthis link opens in a new window

    To get help if you are homeless or to go on to the council housing register, you must be eligible. The law is different for people from within the European Economic Area and the UK and those from outside.

    From: Housing Rights Information

  • The right to buythis link opens in a new window

    Explains who has the right to buy (or the right to a statutory house sale in Northern Ireland).

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Housing rights - challenging discriminationthis link opens in a new window

    If you have been refused housing by a council or housing association but believe that you should not have been, you may have been discriminated against. Information for new arrivals to the UK.

    From: Housing Rights Information

  • Emergency housing-rights checker toolthis link opens in a new window

    An online tool to help you find out whether you are eligible for emergency housing from the council.

    From: Shelter

  • Emergency housing from the councilthis link opens in a new window

    If you don't have anywhere to stay the night, you can ask the council for help as a homeless person. If it believes that you may be eligible for assistance, homeless and in priority need, it has to provide emergency accommodation while it looks into your situation.

    From: Shelter

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a row of houses

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live?

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live? Find out what you can do if you can’t stay in your current home.

Renting and letting leaflet

Your legal rights, if you rent a flat, house or bedsit. If you are a private landlord, learn about your rights and duties to your tenants.

4. Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Neighbourhood and community disputes

Your rights in relation to problems with neighbours, whether you are complaining about your neighbour or the neighbour is complaining about you.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Buying and selling property

How to deal with many of the common problems you may have with buying or selling a house or flat.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top