Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area


Information about private, shared, local authority, housing association, and sheltered housing. Also covers hostels and accommodation agencies.

Information and advice from other websites

  • Finding a place to livethis link opens in a new window

    Information on different housing options, from finding emergency accommodation to buying your own home. It explains how the costs compare and how each option will affect your rights.

    From: Shelter

  • Finding accommodationthis link opens in a new window

    Help with finding accommodation including local authority services for homeless people, accommodation agencies, accommodation schemes and deposits and premiums.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Finding a place to rentthis link opens in a new window

    Where to look for a place to rent. Tips on following up a lead. What to check for when you look round a place.

    From: TheSite

  • Young people - housingthis link opens in a new window

    The rights of children and young people who are homeless including information on renting and buying accommodation.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • Student accommodationthis link opens in a new window

    Most students have to live on very little money and aren't entitled to housing benefit. Finding a suitable place you can afford can be difficult but will ensure that your studies aren't disrupted by housing problems. (Applies in England only.)

    From: Shelter

  • Housing advice for older peoplethis link opens in a new window

    Includes links to information on care homes, renting accommodation, home safety and help in your own home. Also includes links to information on sheltered housing and other housing options.

    From: Age UK

  • Emergency housingthis link opens in a new window

    Need a place for tonight? Find out about different types of emergency housing and how to access them.

    From: Shelter

  • Easy picture guide to your home and moneythis link opens in a new window

    Information on housing, written for people with learning disabilities. Includes renting a house or flat, owning a home, paying rent/mortgage, and paying utility bills.

    From: Your money, your home from United Response

  • Affordable housing through housing associationsthis link opens in a new window

    This looks at what a registered social landlord (RSL) is, how to become a RSL tenant and provides details of low cost home ownership schemes.

    From: Directgov

  • Squattingthis link opens in a new window

    If you need a place to live and can't find any other accommodation, moving into an empty property as a squatter may be an option. Squatting isn't illegal but you can be evicted very easily. You can also be arrested if you damage the property or, in some circumstances, if you refuse to leave.

    From: Shelter

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a row of houses

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live?

Can I get help if I’ve nowhere to live? Find out what you can do if you can’t stay in your current home.

Renting and letting leaflet

Your legal rights, if you rent a flat, house or bedsit. If you are a private landlord, learn about your rights and duties to your tenants.

4. Photograph of a telephone operator at Gurkha Free Legal Advice

Neighbourhood and community disputes

Your rights in relation to problems with neighbours, whether you are complaining about your neighbour or the neighbour is complaining about you.

Photograph of two professionals in an office

Buying and selling property

How to deal with many of the common problems you may have with buying or selling a house or flat.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top