Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

National Health Service

Information about all aspects of the National Health Service.

Information and advice from other websites

  • About the NHSthis link opens in a new window

    Explains how the NHS is structured and what the different health services do. Outlines the difference between primary and secondary health care.

    From: NHS Choices

  • Information about healthcare servicesthis link opens in a new window

    Find out how well your local healthcare organisations are performing and see the results of reviews of different types of NHS services.

    From: Care Quality Commission

  • Find your local NHS servicesthis link opens in a new window

    A search to help you find your local GP surgeries, opticians, NHS dentists, and pharmacies.

    From: NHS Choices

  • NHS constitutionthis link opens in a new window

    Explains the rights and responsibilities that patients and staff have when using the NHS.

    From: Department of Health

  • NHS dental treatment (PDF)this link opens in a new window

    How to find an NHS dentist, treatment available from the NHS, who is entitled to free treatment and how to make a complaint.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • What is Choose and Book?this link opens in a new window

    Choose and Book is a service that allows you to choose your hospital or clinic and book an appointment with a specialist. Explains what it is and how it works.

    From: Choose and Book

  • Claiming health benefitsthis link opens in a new window

    What health benefits can you get? Your rights to free treatment including eye tests, NHS hospital and dental treatment and registering with a doctor.

    From: TheSite

  • Coming out of hospitalthis link opens in a new window

    It can be a very worrying time if you are thinking about caring for someone who is coming out of hospital and who can no longer care for themselves in the same way as before. Includes preparing for the person coming home, what to do if you don't think they're ready and what happens once they are home.

    From: Carers UK

  • NHS continuing healthcare and NHS-funded nursingthis link opens in a new window

    NHS continuing healthcare is a package of health and social care funded solely by the NHS when your need for care is primarily due to your need for healthcare. Explains the ongoing support offered by the NHS to those with health needs as a result of disability, chronic illness or following hospital treatment.

    From: Age UK

  • NHS and local authority services complaintsthis link opens in a new window

    Information on how to make a complaint about NHS treatment or local authority social services, including details of organisations which can help.

    From: Adviceguide from Citizens Advice

  • PALS - complaints and concernsthis link opens in a new window

    If you have concerns or wish to make a complaint about the quality of care you receive from the NHS, or any other issues or experiences when using the NHS, PALS can help. Explains the complaints procedure.

    From: PALS - Patient Advice and Liaison Service

  • Complaints about health servicesthis link opens in a new window

    How you can complain about treatment or services you have had from the NHS. Covers complaints about doctors, nurses, midwifes or health visitors, and complaints about medical negligence.

    From: Liberty

  • Links provided by Advicenow Advicenow is an independent, not-for-profit website providing information on rights and legal issues. Links provided by Advicenow are hand picked from over 200 UK web sites by experienced advisers

Our top picks

Photograph of a woman at a doctors reception

Mental health

Being detained in hospital under the Mental Health Act 1983 can be a frightening and confusing experience. Learn about your rights if you or someone you know is detained under the admission procedure commonly known as 'sectioning'.

Photograph of two retired women at a social club

Community care

If you or someone you know or look after finds it difficult to manage day-to-day living, you may be able to get help in the form of community care. Find out more.

Photograph of a father and daughter

Care proceedings

Your legal position if social services are concerned about your child's welfare and are considering care proceedings

photograph of a doctor washing his hands

Medical accidents

If you have had medical treatment that went wrong or didn't work properly, you may be able to get compensation for your injuries. Find out more.

Need advice now?

Call 08001 225 6653 for free, confidential and impartial advice, or ask us to call or email you back.

back to top