Skip navigation (access key S)

Gateshead Gurkha Free Legal Advice Centre

map5 Regent Terrace
Gateshead. NE8 1LU
General enquiries: 0191 4785100
Advice Line: 0191 4771392

Gateshead Gurkha Free Legal Advice Centre

What we do

What sort of problems can you help me with?
I have a problem. What should I do?

What sort of problems can you help me with?

We can help you with many problems. Here are just a few examples of how we can help you:


Gateshead CLAC has a new family law advice service. People who live or work in Gateshead can now receive full legal advice, including representation in court, through our family law service*.

Our family law solicitor can help you with the following:

  • Emergency work: including injunctions
  • Separation, divorce, breakdown of civil partnership
  • Disputes over children; for example residence and contact, adoption
  • Money and property
  • Disputes involving Social Services; for example child protection and care proceedings

Drop into the centre or ring us on 0191 478 5100 and ask to speak to our family adviser.

*If you qualify for Legal Aid the advice you receive will be free. To check if you qualify for Legal Aid speak to one of our team or visit If you don’t qualify we can refer you to one of our partners who will explain any potential costs before you decide if you want to seek further advice.


  • Disrepair/poor housing conditions
  • Rent or mortgage arrears
  • Threatened loss of your home
  • Homelessness
  • Succession/Assignment


  •  Discrimination
  • Unfair or constructive dismissal
  • Redundancy
  • Unlawful deduction of wages
  • Breach of contract
  • Tribunal representation
  • Maternity/paternity rights
  • Transfer of undertaking (TUPE)
  • Grievance/Disciplinary Procedures

Benefits - we carry out welfare benefit assessments and help with applications, reviews, backdating requests and appeals. Some of the benefits we help with are:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Bereavement Benefits
  • Budgeting Loans
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Community Care Grants
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Crisis Loans
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Employment and Support allowance (ESA)
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Maternity Grants
  • Pension Credit
  • Retirement Pension
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Tax Credits


  • Help with dealing with your debts
  • Harassment from creditors
  • Council tax arrears
  • Financial solutions
  • Insolvency
  • Debt relief orders
  • Individual voluntary arrangements (iva)
  • Rent arrears
  • Mortgage arrears
  • Bailiffs

Community Care

  • carers' rights and needs
  • services for children

General Help

  • Form filling
  • Benefit checks
  • Liaising with external agencies
  • General advice and information – finding the right person or agency to help you with your problem

I have a problem.  What should I do?

Please contact us and we will listen to your problem to see how the centre can help you.

We may be able to help you resolve the problem straight away.

If your problem is complex, you may need some ongoing specialist legal advice. The adviser will make an appointment for you with someone at the Centre who has specialist knowledge and who will help you throughout your case.

We will always try to help you resolve your problems as quickly as possible.


Live outside Gateshead?

Gurkha Free Legal Advice can help you via our telephone helpline and website

Opening hours

Drop-in times:

  • Mon 9am - 5pm
  • Tue 9am - 5pm
  • Wed 9am - 5pm
  • Thu 9am - 8pm
  • Fri 9am - 5pm
  • Sat 9am - 12 noon

For advice outside these hours please call our national telephone helpline

08001 225 6653

CAB Logo 

Ben Hoare Bell logo

David Gray Logo

Swinburne & Jackson Logo