Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletWhat if I disagree with the council's decision not to help me?

If the council says it will not help you find somewhere to live, you don't have to just accept it - there are steps you can take to make the council look again at your case.

What if I disagree with the council's decision not to help me?

If you disagree with a council’s decision not to help you (for example, if it does not believe you are ‘in priority need’), you can ask it to review its decision. But you must do this within 21 days of getting the decision in writing.

Not all types of council decision can be reviewed in this way, but you may be able to challenge them in a different way. You will need expert advice from a housing aid centre, Citizens Advice Bureau or solicitor to do this.

If you disagree with the review decision, you may have the right to appeal to the county court within 21 days of receiving this decision. But you can only do that if you are challenging a point of law, not the decision itself. Again, you should get expert advice.

back to top

What you can do now:

back to top