Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletWhat if I can't stay in my current home?

You don't have to be sleeping on the streets to be homeless. You may be entitled to get help to find somewhere to live (or to stay in your home), if you have a good reason for your current difficulties at home. Here we explain what those reasons could be.

What if I can't stay in my current home?

The council may regard you as homeless, and therefore have to help find you somewhere to live, if you are in any of the following situations :

  • You are too worried about your personal safety to stay at home, because of violence or the threat of violence (which could be from a neighbour or ex-partner, not just from someone you live with).
  • You can't stay in your home because it is in very poor condition and a threat to your health.
  • You have nowhere that you can live with your family.
  • You have been locked out of your home and are not allowed back.
  • You live in a caravan or houseboat but you have nowhere to keep it legally.

back to top

What you can do now:

back to top