Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletHow can the police or a solicitor help me?

Once you have thought about the practical things you need to do to ensure you are safe for now, you can take some legal steps to make sure the law can protect you in the longer term.

You can get help from the criminal law by involving the police, and from the civil law by involving a family solicitor. You have a number of choices, depending on, what has happened; what you want to do, and what you can afford.

How can the police help me?

The police can take action to protect you and your children. They may do this by arresting your partner, if they have the power to do so, and holding him or her for a short time (for example, overnight).

How can a solicitor help me?

If you contact a solicitor because you've been abused, or you fear being abused, the solicitor should advise you about what you can do, and the best choices for your situation.

back to top