Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletWhat if I'm unhappy about health care?

You can complain about any area of healthcare provided by the NHS. You can complain directly to the service you are unhappy with, such as the GP practice or hospital. Or you can complain to the local health body that commissioned the service - the primary care trust in England or local health board in Wales.

What if I'm unhappy about my healthcare?

Ask your GP practice, hospital, trust or local health board for a copy of their complaints procedure. This will tell you what to do.

Your complaint should normally be acknowledged within three working days of the service or commissioner receiving it. And, if the complaint needs investigating, you should get a response in writing as soon as possible and normally within six months at the latest.

If you're unhappy with an assessment for NHS continuing healthcare, you can ask your primary care trust or local health board to reconsider.

back to top

Can I get help with making a complaint?

You can get information and advice about making a complaint from:

You can get help to make a complaint from:

  • a local independent complaints advocate in England (through the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service).  Ask PALS for your local ICAS office.
  • your Community Health  Council in Wales.

back to top

What if I'm not happy with the response to my complaint?

If you can't resolve things locally, you can:

back to top

What if I think the NHS has broken the law?

If you think the NHS has broken the law for example, if it refuses to assess your healthcare needs or has reached an unreasonable decision about the level of healthcare services you're entitled to, you may be able to pursue legal action (called 'judicial review').

To do this, you will need to get legal advice.

back to top

What you can do now:

back to top