Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletWill I have to pay for care and can I get help with paying?

Generally, care arranged by your local council's social services department is means-tested, so you may have to pay for some or all of it, depending on your income and savings. You may be entitled to welfare benefits, which may help you pay for care. Care arranged by the NHS is free.

The links below explain the rules on who pays for care and how much.

If you think you may need to go into residential care, the rules are complicated. Read more here.

Who pays if I get care at home?

You may have to pay some or all of the cost of care you get at home from your local council, depending on your income and savings. Here's how a council works out whether it is going to charge you.

How much might I have to pay?

All councils should work out how much you have to pay according to their Fairer Charging policy. Here are the rules they should follow in deciding what to charge you.

Can I get benefits to help pay for care?

You may be entitled to certain benefits related to your need for care, and to help from the Independent Living Fund. And you may be able to get help with the rent or running costs of your home, too.

Will my local council give me money to pay for care?

The council must offer you the option of 'direct payments' - money you use to buy your own care. If you are a carer, you may also be able to get direct payments so you can pay for some care services yourself.

back to top