Skip navigation (access key S)

Access Keys:

Hide my visit

Need to speak to somebody now?

  • Get free, confidential legal advice

    Call 08001 225 6653
  • Mon - Fri  9am - 8:00pm
  • Sat  9am - 12:30pm
  • Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
  • CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.

Find a legal adviser in your area

eleafletWho decides what help I need?

Your local council must assess your community care (sometimes called social care) needs if you ask them or they become aware that you may need this care. If you have ongoing health needs, you may have an assessment to see if you are eligible for 'NHS continuing healthcare'. The links below explain the assessment process; the rules on getting the care you are assessed as needing; and what to do if you're unhappy with an assessment.

If you are older, you should have a single assessment that looks at all your care needs together. And whatever age you are, you should only have to give your details once, even if more than one service is involved in deciding on or arranging care.

What is an assessment?

To get help, you must have an assessment of your needs. This will look at what you are able to do and what help you need

What happens after my assessment?

Once you've been assessed, the local council will look at whether you are eligible to receive help with arranging and paying for care services. If you're not eligible for help, the council should still give you information and advice about getting care services yourself.

What if I need care mostly because of health problems?

If you have ongoing health problems and need help with caring for yourself, you may be entitled to 'NHS continuing care'. The NHS should arrange and pay for this care. Find out more about the assessment process to decide if you are eligible here.

What can I do if I'm unhappy with my assessment?

If you're unhappy with your assessment, you can complain either to your local council or to the NHS, depending on who did the assessment. Here's how.

back to top