Need to speak to somebody now?
- Get free, confidential legal advice
Call 08001 225 6653
- Mon - Fri 9am - 8:00pm
- Sat 9am - 12:30pm
- Calls from 4p/min - or get us to call you back
- CHRISTMAS 2010: We are closed on the 25th, 27th and 28th December and the 1st and 3rd January. On 24th and 31st December we will close at 6:30pm rather than the usual 8pm.
Find a legal adviser in your area
What are my rights if I'm made redundant?
Redundancy is a fair form of dismissal. It occurs when an employer decides they need fewer people in the business.
In practice, redundancy happens in one of the following situations:
- A business is closing
- A workplace is closing - a specific branch of the business is shutting down
- There is less need for the employees to do a particular type of work in the organisation.
Your employer must follow a fair procedure and allow you to appeal.